Thursday, July 1, 2010

Back To Shape

The combination of the steroids and living in a wheelchair had made me gain a lot of weight. Since December, I've lost 35lbs and I'm very close to being my goal weight again. It didn't come easy.

First, I stopped taking steroids. This is a super controversy, much to my family's chagrin, but the steroids were making me gain a ton of weight. No matter what the symptom was, I would work through it on my own with therapy.

Second, I got off my ass. Being determined enough to get back to my old self, I found things to do: painted the house, cleaned, walked to the store instead of driving, and using the stairs instead of an elevator.

I also stopped eating unhealthy. Not only did I notice a difference in weight, I noticed that my symptoms were far and few in-between. I'd have a Slim-Fast and a fruit cup for breakfast. For lunch, I'd make a smoothie. Six to seven strawberries, a tiny bit of cream, 2 cups of 2% milk, 2 tablespoons both frozen strawberry and vanilla yogurt.
If I was craving stacks, I would eat almonds, grapes or berries.
Dinner time is most difficult. I avoided as much carbohydrates as possible. Only turkey, skinniness chicken, or fish and a side of vegetables. I cheat on my diet, maybe, twice a week. Whatever food is on my plate, I only eat half of it. I also made use of smaller plates to force myself to have smaller portions.

There is a Multiple Sclerosis Bike-A-Thon later in the year that I had signed up to. It's a 25m bike ride that needs intense training. At first, it was little a time. A half a mile here, a mile there, and then riding 5 miles a day. Since it has been pretty hot out, I wait to ride my back till the sun starts to set and it gets cooler outside (usually around 7 or 8 o'clock).

For my last advice, be careful. You will know when your body wants to stop, so don't push it. Even on the days you feel extra tired, take a little nap, and get that little needed energy to exercise.