Monday, March 19, 2012

Reader's Submission: Michelle

My name is Michelle and I'm 25 years old.  I've had MS for 8 months.

I used to get up every morning at 5:45 a.m. and run two miles around my neighborhood.  Being in pretty good shape, I took a lot of care of myself, really considering my body being a temple.

My boyfriend at the time, Patrick, was living with me for almost a year.  We never really "officially" moved in together, our stuff just kinda ended up together at his place.  I had a lot of friends, I had a great job teaching 3rd grade and I graduated top of my class at Temple U.  I had the life, had being the magical word.


Then 8 months ago, I woke up one morning to go running, but I couldn't feel my legs.  After two days in the hospital, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.  I did rehab for 2 months but the strength in my legs never fully came back.  Doctors don't think I'll ever walk again, but I'm holding out hope I will.  I have my tough days, my dark days but I always try to keep positive.

The majority of the friends I had would call less and less.  Patrick's friends felt awkward around me being a sick girl, especially being in a wheelchair.  He started spending most of his time out with friends and leaving me home watching television.  I didn't go out much.  We broke up in November of last year and I moved back in with my parents.

I can't begin to tell you how hard it is to start all over again after this age.  I should be figuring life out, not starting over again.

I've tried meeting new people, even dating.  I met one guy on the internet and we talked for a few weeks.  Like Natalie and many of you, I hid the fact I was sick and I made sure my life sounded as normal as possible.  When it came time for us to meet, I let him know I was in a wheelchair.  I was hoping he would have liked me as a person so much, the wheelchair would be secondary.  He stood me up on our first date.

As for friends, I have a couple left but I still don't go out as much.  Not many people call anymore.  However, I met a lot of great people at my support group, like Natalie.  I wouldn't know what I'd do without you guys. 

I'm still trying to accept my diagnosis.  It's something that will never go away and something I'll live with every single day.

I've been happy I found a community of us self-proclaimed 'sick' girls.  We need to stick together strong!  I love you girls!