Monday, April 16, 2012

Walking In High Heels

Quite a few of the lady readers here have asked me how I manage the high heels I wear while having Multiple Sclerosis.  I mean, you're already having trouble with balance -- how do you manage balance on high heels?!


My new heels I wear all the time now!
Start with smaller height high-heels (I call them training-heels).  The easiest heels to walk in are wedges.  Wedges are easier to maneuver because they give more support.  After you've grown comfortable with wedges, graduate up to a higher wedge.  High heel wedges are fully attached to the sole of the shoe, giving you increased balance and comfort while still allowing you to get used to having the heel of your foot placed high above the level of your toes. These will have less support than boots, and if you get ones with a slim wedge, they'll be a good segue into stilettos.  I think I started off with 2"-3" wedges and when I began wearing 5" wedges, I knew I was ready for heels.  And just like a 2" or 3" wedge, start with a 2"-3" high heel.  Try wearing heels that have an ankle trap, or especially booties.

Take small, slow steps, making sure not to bend your knees any more than you normally would. You'll notice that heels tend to shorten your stride a bit. The taller the heel, the shorter the stride ends up being.  Put your heel down first right before your toes (don't plop them down at the same time, and don't put your toes down first). Once your weight is on the balls of your feet, shift your weight forward, as if you're walking on your tip toes.


If your heel is slipping off while you walk, put cotton balls at the toes.  And always bring an emergency pair of shoes!  I always have ballet flat/slip-on's that fold-up I put away into my purse, just in case at some point during the night I start to feel unsteady.  Also try standing around in heels.  Say you're doing your makeup at the mirror, stand there in a pair of heels and learn to manage balancing yourself in your shoes.

I think it took a year for me to graduate from 3" to 6" (yes, 6" heels).  However, some feet (MS or not) are just not made for high heels.  When I was doing physical therapy, my therapist said my feet were permanently in a position as if I wore high heels daily, and flats must be uncomfortable for me.