Saturday, August 18, 2012

Elevators



Advice:  No matter how shitty things can get, 
as long as you can laugh at yourself, it's not so bad.


I've received some disheartening e-mails from readers about my last post.  Listen up -- depression is awful.  I'm no stranger to depression and suffered too long after my diagnosis of MS.  And just when I think I beat depression, depression ends up being the cause of my turning into a very cold, stone-hearted bitch who is unable to love, trust and care for another person besides herself.

I remember the day I clearly snapped out of that depression, when I went to my first support group.  However, some of us can't "snap out" and as someone who loves you (and is just not trying to earn her PhD in Psychology) I urge you to talk to someone.  Or at the very least, blog about it, write it down -- release that shitty juju, my friend.


Other things that could help?
  • Make sure you have enough fat and protein in your diet. 
  • Make sure you are supplementing with Vitamin D. 2k is the bare minimum and many doctors recommend you take 5k - 10k IU per day.
  • Eat nutrient dense foods (fish, whole veggies, butter, etc.) You also may want to try cutting gluten and wheat out of your diet, it has a surprisingly negative affect on much of the population, including brain fog and just generally feeling "down."


Life can bring us down.  Life can play some pretty cruel tricks, but having a self-pity party for 1 will make you miss out on all the awesomeness life has to offer, even if some of it sucks.



Sooo.. let me end this on a posi, yet humiliating note, and tell you all a story:

I have an irrational fear of elevators.  Deathly scared.  When I was a kid, I was on an elevator that stalled out and it fell a floor (but to me it felt like 1000000 floors).  Ever since, I hate elevators.  My stomach goes in knots, I start to sweat and things start to get really dizzy.  And even though friends think my fear is funny, the boys I date swear to GOD think it's the most hilarious thing in the universe. 

For some reason, dudes like to laugh at me when I'm completely terrified out of my mind.

A few weeks ago, a guy booked us a room in Atlantic City at a really nice hotel for the night.  He failed to mention that our room was on the 15th floor.  Making matters worse, it was a glass elevator.  To me, it might as well have been a glass elevator of death.  I start to get nervous, I start to sweat, and that dude cannot stop laughing.  So maybe around the 10th floor, I let out a little pee.  Not a lot of pee, but the little kind you do if you laugh too hard.  Instead of having a nervous break-down or totally being humiliated at that point, I start to laugh with him.  I'm on a romantic night out, with one of the most handsome boys ever and I slightly urinate on myself over my irrational fear of elevators. 


Point is -- it feels good to laugh at yourself once in awhile.


P.S. -- There are a million and one blogs talking about disease, but not many who write about what it's like to go through illness and maintain a normal, happy life.  My friend and Sunny reader, Melody, has started her very own blog.  Check it out!  Melody's Blog

P.P.S -- I live under the same roof as the most amazing person on the entire planet.