Thursday, August 12, 2010

But You Don't Look Disabled



Having Multiple Sclerosis has its drawbacks, whether it be with work, relationships, and money.

On the 3rd of every month, I receive an SSI benefit check that helps me through the month; however, I cannot make more than $800 during that month in order to receive a check. I’m lucky though; my prescriptions don’t cost a thing (literally, it comes to a total of $0.00), I have more than enough money to get by, but constant doctor visits become pricey.

I also have a handicapped license plate, not the paper that is hung over your overhead mirror. Under no circumstances do I try and take advantage of my parking privileges. There were times when I was in a wheelchair and handicapped parking was tough to find. Unloading a wheelchair needs space next to the car, you need to be close to an area without a curb, and close enough to the door. However, if I’m having a “bad day”, I do utilize my handicapped parking. Sometimes it becomes a problem.
In the area I live in, there is an abundance of elderly folks that take watch over handicapped spaces. They will sit in their car (using a handicapped space, mind you) watching who parks in the blue spaces. There are more than a few times someone has harassed me when I park handicapped.

“You have no right parking here!” they yell.
“You don’t look handicapped!”
“What’s wrong with you! What makes you so disabled?!”

I tell them that it is none of their business. Even though there are times I want to whip out my disabled card (yes, there is such a thing), I back down. Just because I’m not 80 years old with a limp, doesn’t mean I’m not disabled. Not just me, but with friends that receive harsh chemo treatments, or other MS meds whom may not look physical ill, but need the assistance of parking. The preconceived notion that a car with a handicapped plate is usually a car owned by someone much older than 27.

A major problem that comes with MS is working. For a while, I was waitressing to pay my college bills. It was a way that I could make more than $800 a month without losing my SSI. Prior to working, I disclosed my disability to my managers. Although, my bosses were harsh and cruel about the disability, making you feel like nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with.

Even though employers will promise you work-place acceptance, it rarely happens. In this case, I urge anyone to contact the Equal Opportunity for any workplace bias about your disability.


This past week, I was hospitalized for Ischemic Colitis. Unable to find the cause of it, my doctors let me know that they want me to discontinue using any Avonex injections until further notice. This news is making me worry, considering my body had become used to the side effects and I’m hoping there will be no flare-up.

Other than that, my friends have shown great support. I had some very sweet hospital visits by friends and family. As expected, my father didn’t stay very long, and he didn’t make much eye contact with me. I’ve come to the conclusion that he feels the MS is his fault (it runs on his side of the family) and if it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be in this condition. But I tell him time and time again, what has happened is by pure chance. And even though I’m a sick pup, I’m happier than I have ever been.