Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Key To Change Is To Let Go Of Fear


“For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson


I’m staying the night at my parent’s house. Hearing them sleeping, feeling their comfort of having their daughter safe at home brings pleasure like eating a fresh baked cookie.
When I see them, I don’t just see parents, I see my lifeline and my strength in form. I would not be where I am today without them. When all was lost, when all was lonely, my parents were there. And I will return the favor for them. (My mother plans on writing a post for my blog, fyi!)

I don’t feel old – I feel matured. No longer “dating”, I am holding out for someone worth my time. It’s time to settle down and find someone worthy of what I have inside me. I have a lot to give. In easier words; a mature relationship. I no longer feel the need to fit in or mold myself to please others. People come and go, but the few I have are priceless. Friendship is no longer about competition, jealousy or drama. Revenge is no longer about getting someone “back”, but rather letting it go. It does not deserve the effort.

Love has a new feeling, a new definition. Love is absolutely beautiful. There is a world of endless possibility. There is no such thing as a leader, but a partnership. Not even the best scientist in the world could define that deep connection between two people. Seeing my parents is like Christmas morning. Hearing my best friend Monica on the phone always makes my day better.

I also don’t feel disabled. Having been in a wheelchair has given me patience, newfound happiness and a softer landing for being let down. When you are at your lowest of low points, there is no way to go but up. I know I have a disease that has no cure, but life is life and it doesn’t define who I am. Some of the strongest people I’ve had the pleasure to meet have disabilities. They are an amazing group of people – you all are.