Sunday, March 6, 2011

Disabled Accessories Explained

I've never really discussed the side of actually being disabled and my time in a wheelchair. Being in a wheelchair is pretty hardcore -- you are teased, people push your chair around (not in the good way), and you are stared at like a circus freak. Not to mention, taking care of yourself is out of the question. I have a lot of respect for the disabled; dealing with self-esteem is tough. I was 23/24 years old and my mother had to help put my clothes on, I needed help eating as if I were a baby, and my father had to carry me.


This is called a "reacher". The reacher helps put on your shoes, helps gets objects too far up and collects objects fallen on the ground.


This is a commode. The commode is placed next to your bed. With MS, that feeling of having to urinate is very onset, so to help eliminate accidents, a commode is placed by your bed at night. One of the most embarrassing and gross things about being in a wheelchair.


Being bed-ridden, the easiest way to bathe is with this thing. Warm water, soap and a few wash cloths: that is how you clean up in the morning and before bed.


A shower chair is the most important way, and only way, to use the shower. By wheeling yourself as close to the bathtub, someone helps you into the tub and onto the chair. Hey, sitting down to wash your hair may not sound so bad, but just the ability to not have a normal shower is enough to bring you down just a little.


Be respectful to the disabled. Too many people take their mobility for granted.
Life is hard already without the efforts of idiots making it worse.